1. Mathias SD, Kuppermann M, Liberman RF, Lipschutz RC & Steege JF (1996) Chronic pelvic pain: prevalence, health-related quality of life, and economic correlates.
Obstet Gynecol 87,321-7.
2. Zondervan KT, Yudkin PL, Vessey MP et al. (2001) Chronic pelvic pain in the community - symptoms, investigations, and diagnoses. Am J Obstet Gynecol 184(6), 1149-55.
3. Zondervan KT, Yudkin PL, Vessey MP, Dawes MG, Barlow DH & Kennedy SH (1999) Patterns of diagnosis and referral in women consulting for chronic pelvic pain in UK primary care. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 106, 1156-61.
4. Zondervan KT, Yudkin PL, Vessey MP, Dawes MG, Barlow DH & Kennedy SH (1999) Prevalence and incidence of chronic pelvic pain in primary care: evidence from a national general practice database. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 106, 1149-1155.
5. Zondervan KT, Yudkin PL, Vessey MP, et al. (2001) The community prevalence of chronic pelvic pain in women and associated illness behaviour. Br J Gen Pract 51(468), 541-7.
6. Stones RW, Bradbury L & Anderson D (2001) Randomized placebo controlled trial of lofexidine hydrochloride for chronic pelvic pain in women. Hum Reprod 16(8), 1719-21.
7. Peveler R, Edwards J, Daddow J & Thomas EJ (1995) Psychosocial factors and chronic pelvic pain: a comparison of women with endometriosis and with unexplained pain. J Psychosom Res 40, 305-15.
8. Waller KG & Shaw RW (1995) Endometriosis, pelvic pain, and psychological functioning. Fertil Steril 63, 796-800.
9. Engel CC, Walker EA, Engel AL, Bullis J & Armstrong A (1998) A randomized, double-blind crossover trial of sertraline in women with chronic pelvic pain. J Psychosomatic Res 44,203-7.
10. Collett BJ, Cordle CJ, Stewart CR & Jagger C (1998) A comparative study of women with chronic pelvic pain, chronic nonpelvic pain and those with no history of pain attending general practitioners. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 105, 87-92.
11. Fry RPW, Beard RW, Crisp AH & Mcguigan S (1997) Sociopsychological factors in women with chronic pelvic pain with and without pelvic venous congestion.
J Psychosom Res 42, 71-85.
12. Rapkin AJ, Kames LD, Darke LL, Stampler FM & Naliboff BD (1990) History of physical and sexual abuse in women with chronic pelvic pain. Obstet Gynecol 76,92-6.
13. Prior A & Whorwell PJ (1989) Gynaecological consultation in patients with the irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 30, 996-8.
14. Whorwell P (1995) The gender influence. Women & IBS 2, 2-3.
15. Parsons CL, Dell J, Stanford EJ, Bullen M, Kahn BS & Willems JJ (2002) The prevalence of interstitial cystitis in gynecologic patients with pelvic pain, as detected by intravesical potassium sensitivity. Am J Obstet Gynocol 187, 1395-400.
16. Beard RW, Reginald PW & Wadsworth J (1988) Clinical features of women with chronic lower abdominal pain and pelvic congestion. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 95, 153-61.
17. Gibbons JM (1998) Vulvar vestibulitis. In: Steage JF, Metzger DA & Levy BS (eds) Chronic Pelvic Pain: An Integrated Approach. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 181-7.
18. Ghaly AFF (1994) The psychological and physical benefits of pelvic ultrasonography in patients with chronic pelvic pain and negative laparoscopy. A random allocation trial. J Obstet Gynaecol 14,269-71.
19. Stones RW, Rae T, Rogers V, Fry R & Beard RW (1990) Pelvic congestion in women: evaluation with transvaginal ultrasound and observation of venous pharmacology. Br J Radiol 63, 710-1.
20. Halligan S, Campbell D, Bartram CI et al. (2000) Transvaginal ultrasound examination of women with and without pelvic venous congestion. Clin Radiol 55(12), 954-8.
21. Stones RW & Thomas EJ (1995) Cost-effectve medical treatment of endometriosis. In Bonnar J (ed.) Recent Advances in Obstetrics and Gnaecology no.19. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 139-52.
22. Howard FM (1996) The role of laparoscopy in the evaluation of chronic pelvic pain: pitfalls with a negative laparoscopy. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 4(1), 85-94.
23. Peters AA, van Dorst E, Jellis B, van Zuuren E, Hermans J & Trimbos JB (1991) A randomized clinical trial to compare two different approaches in women with chronic pelvic pain. Obstet Gynecol 77, 740-4.
24. Selfe SA, Matthews Z & Stones RW (1998) Factors influencing outcome in consultations for chronic pelvic pain. J Womens Health 7,1041-8.
25. Howard FM (1999) Pelvic pain. In: Thomas EJ & Stones RW (eds) Gynaecology Highlights 1998-99. Oxford: Health Press, 53-63.
26. Stones W, Cheong Y & Howard FM (2005) Interventions for treating chronic pelvic pain in women. The Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3, CD000387. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000387.
27. Farquhar CM, Rogers V, Franks S, Pearce S, Wadsworth J & Beard RW (1989) A randomized controlled trial of medroxyprogesterone acetate and psychotherapy for the treatment of pelvic congestion. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 96, 1153-62.
28. Walton SM & Batra HK (1992) The use of medroxyprogesterone acetate 50mg in the treatment of painful pelvic conditions: preliminary results from a multicentre trial. J Obstet Gynaecol 12(Suppl 2), s50-3.
29. Soysal ME, Soysal S, Vicdan K & Ozer S (2001) A randomized controlled trial of goserelin and medroxyprogesterone acetate in the treatment of pelvic congestion. Hum Reprod 16,931-9.
30. Stones RW & Price C (2002) Health services for women with chronic pelvic pain. J Royal Soc Med 95, 531-5.
31. Peters AAW, Trimbos-Kemper GCM, Admiraal C & Trimbos JB (1992) A randomized clinical trial on the benefit of adhesiolysis in patients with intraperitoneal adhesions and chronic pelvic pain. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 99, 59-62.
32. Swank DJ, Swank-Bordewijk SC, Hop WC et al. (2003) Laparoscopic adhesiolysis in patients with chronic abdominal pain: a blinded randomised controlled multi-centre trial. Lancet 361(9365), 1247-51.
33. Brown C, Pharm D, Ling F, Wan J & Pills A (2002) Efficacy of static magnetic field therapy in chronic pelvic pain: a double-blind study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 187,1581-7.
34. Weintraub MI, Wolfe GI, Barohn RA et al. (2003) Static magnetic field therapy for symptomatic diabetic neuropathy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehab 84, 736-46.
35. Onwude L, Thornton J, Morley S, Lilleyman J, Currie I & Lilford R (2004) A randomised trial of photographic reinforcement during postoperative counselling after diagnostic laparoscopy for pelvic pain. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 112,89-94.
36. Norman S, Lumley M, Dooley J & Diamond M (2004) For whom does it work? Moderators of the effects of written emotional disclosure in a randomised trial among women with chronic pelvic pain. Psychosom Med 66,174-83.
37. Beard RW, Kennedy RG, Gangar KF et al. (1991) Bilateral oophorectomy and hysterectomy in the treatment of intractable pelvic pain associated with pelvic congestion. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 98,988-92.
38. Stones RW (2003) Pelvic vascular congestion: half a century later. Clin Obstet Gynecol 46, 831-6.
39. Chung M-H & Huh C-Y (2003) Comparison of treatments for pelvic congestion syndrome. Tohoku J Exp Med 201, 131-8.
40. Proctor ML, Smith CA, Farquhar CM & Stones RW (2002) Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1, CD002123. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002123.
Was this article helpful?