• Barrier methods all have high failure rates when used typically.
• Condoms are obtainable over the counter so provision is not dependent on a health professional.
• Diaphragms and caps must be fitted by a health professional.
• Male condoms reduce the risk of sexually transmitted disease including HIV/AIDS.
• Spermicides should not be used alone and if used frequently and in large quantities may increase the risk of HIV transmission.
Was this article helpful?
The first trimester is very important for the mother and the baby. For most women it is common to find out about their pregnancy after they have missed their menstrual cycle. Since, not all women note their menstrual cycle and dates of intercourse, it may cause slight confusion about the exact date of conception. That is why most women find out that they are pregnant only after one month of pregnancy.