• POC is available in a wide range of delivery systems.
• The dose of progestogen determines the mode of action and side effects.
• Irregular vaginal bleeding is a common reason for discontinuation of low-dose POC which do not inhibit ovarian activity completely.
• Despite normal ovarian activity the LNG-IUS is associated with amenorrhoea because of endometrial atrophy.
• Depo-Provera® inhibits ovarian activity completely and most users have amenorrhoea.
• There are few data on long-term safety. Theoretically POC are safer than CHC.
• POC does not increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
• Depo-Provera® is associated with decreased BMD.
• Depo-Provera® may be associated with an increased risk of some sexually transmitted infections.
Was this article helpful?
Once your pregnancy is over and done with, your baby is happily in your arms, and youre headed back home from the hospital, youll begin to realize that things have only just begun. Over the next few days, weeks, and months, youre going to increasingly notice that your entire life has changed in more ways than you could ever imagine.