A 16-year-old female comes to your office complaining of a pruritic generalized eruption of gradually increasing intensity over the prior 4 months. The pruritus now frequently awakens her during the night. You suspect a scabies infestation.
1. What pertinent history should you seek from this patient?
2. What primary lesions should you look for on physical examination that support a diagnosis of scabies?
3. What is the typical distribution of scabies in an adolescent female?
4. How should you establish the diagnosis of scabies?
5. What is the appropriate treatment for this patient?
Was this article helpful?